May 12, 2004

They recently upgraded blogger. This I imagine would be a good thing if I wasn’t so resistant to change.

I’m still struggling with the whole OS X thing and this is just another rock on the pile adding to my woes.

I just got the Panther upgrade last week - so I could install it on several of the machines around the house. It came to a point where I haven’t been given much choice as most of my clients these days are running OS X.

Everybody talks about the benefits of System 10... it’s Unix, it’s truly multitasking, a single application crashing doesn’t take down the machine but, it really is a Tech Support guy’s wet dream more than anything else.

Finally, they can set privileges on a machine - meaning you have to adjust to the computing environment the Tech guy decides is right for the company.

Gone are the days when you could customize your machine to work the way you’d like it. Seems like a pretty big step backwards. One of the great things about working on a Mac was being able to customize the machine so you could take advantage of all those great shortcuts. Hell, half the people I run across don’t even know the basic finder (OS) shortcuts.

Of course, it depends on the client and the tech guy at the client and how rigid a person they are.

Unfortunately, as is often the case, while they may be good tech guys, they certainly aren’t aware of what makes a job easier to do. So, you get locked into this situation of having one more hurdle thrown into your path when you’re just trying to do your job.

In the late eighties, I remember being at these big companies where they would have all these computers set up on peoples’ desks which were clients to a larger mainframe. When the desktop computer came along, there was something freeing about computing in general, the tools were finally in the hands of the people that used them.

The more rigid these networks become (and the computing experience), the less likely is the possibility of innovation, wouldn’t you think?

No comments: